Re: Discussing problems at DebConf

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Holger Levsen wrote:

IMHO the list brought up by Andreas Tille is not really useful, because there
are more aspects than quantity.
The fact that the list is incomplete is no real reason that it is not
useful.  Either add the missing things to make it more useful or give
reasons why the incomplete reasons are not useful.

And there are also lots of missing aspects,
like nowadays you dont need any non-free software anymore (provided you use
the "right" hardware and some other requirements like your specific needs),
this has been different a few years ago when we relied on netscape, acrobat,
kde (qt was non-free)...
If you are looking from a the simple office user point of view you might
be probably right.  For other use cases this statement is, hmm, well, how
to say - at least ignorant.

Of course, growth brings some problems. But it also comes with more
(wo)menpower and more solutions...
Unlimited growth does not exist because it just changes the quality of the
things which is growing and sooner or later the system will collapse or
evolve by adapting to new circumstances.  It must be the stock market
hype which lets people think that growth is always good.
(I had the advantage of having to read some Hegel texts in my school /
study education in the former GDR. Sometimes this is useful. ;-) )

I dont see growth as a bad thing per se.
I never said this.  But we have to change the structure to make the
growth a positive issue

--
http://fam-tille.de