Re: vd+rw-tools 7.1, Blu-Ray, and INVALID FIELD IN CDB on session close

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 09:09:54AM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First a summary and proposals:
>
> Currently it seems to me that this is the old
> concurrent disturbance problem as of CD and
> DVD-R, although it is yet unknown with BD-R.
>
> Its randomness would match a race condition
> about a reader process which tries to inspect
> the media while xorriso begins to write it.
>
> Do you see fresh error messages in dmesg after
> you inserted a blank media ?

Yes, in every case of blank disc insert there are five such messages:

  [942204.231259] sr 59:0:0:0: [sr1] Unhandled sense code
  [942204.231262] sr 59:0:0:0: [sr1] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
  [942204.231266] sr 59:0:0:0: [sr1] Sense Key : Blank Check [current]
  [942204.231270] sr 59:0:0:0: [sr1] Add. Sense: No additional sense information
  [942204.231274] sr 59:0:0:0: [sr1] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00
  [942204.231282] end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 0
  [942204.231285] Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 0

I wait until the disk is attempted to be mounted, found to be blank, and
a dialog pops up to open brasero/k3b, which I dismiss because I don't
want to use them now.

> Some complain about unreadable Table-of-content
> or some read error ?
> Those complaints would come from CD inspecting
> entities of the operating system. E.g. hald.
> (I kill hald-addon-storage processes which
>  are set to watch my drives. To find them:
>    ps -ef | grep 'addon-storage.*sr'
> )

I will try this next time.  It is so strange that this problem only now
begins, and occurs 3 times in a row with xorriso but not growisofs.

> Another workaround would be to load the media
> and to wait until all blinking stopped.
> This should give the OS demons opportunity to
> inspect the media and to then stay away from it.

Yes, I thought this is what I did, but maybe they are still bothering
the drive during the burn.

> > As usual there are no useful SCSI errors in the kernel messages.
>
> That is because all burn programs have to use
> generic SCSI drivers and send own SCSI commands.
> The error messages in the kernel log mostly stem
> from higher device driver levels which use the
> same transport mechanism for their commands.
> Our errors are reported by our programs to their
> output terminals.
> [..]
> Another reason would be if the drive quitted the
> state of sequential burning. This happens with
> CD and DVD-R if it encounters commands other than
> WRITE and some harmless inquiry commands.
> Not harmless are READ or inquiry of the media's
> Table-of-content.

Is there no kernel mechanism to quiesce the drive and then lock it for
exclusive access?

> Differences between growisofs and libburn:
>
> - growisofs uses write mode BD-R SRM with
>   Pseudo-Overwrite, whereas libburn uses BD-R SRM
>   without Pseudo-Overwrite.

Is POW only needed for modifying UDF discs?

> The BD-R media is spoiled, i fear.
> One could close the open track to make the rest
> of the media usable again. But that would be
> only 2 GB and it would need a specially prepared
> ISO image to have it mountable.

This is getting expensive!  Thanks for all your help.

--
Ryan C. Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>