Re: vd+rw-tools 7.1, Blu-Ray, and INVALID FIELD IN CDB on session close

Hi,

> Yes, in every case of blank disc insert there are five such messages:
>   [942204.231274] sr 59:0:0:0: [sr1] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
01 00 00 00

Ouchers. At least for CD and DVD- this is evil.
DVD-RAM, DVD+, BD-RE are not affected.
(And i though BD-R was safe, too.)

> I will try this next time.

They have nine lives and then they pop up as
undead somnambules.

> It is so strange that this problem only now
> begins, and occurs 3 times in a row with xorriso
> but not growisofs.

If it is the cause, then it is a race condition.
Small differences in the race start can cause
a totally different outcome.

Another theory could be about the SRM+POW
formatting of growisofs. Maybe it is less prone
to disturbance on your drive.
You could format your blank BD-Rs by help
of dvd+rw-format and then use them by cdrskin
or xorriso.
At the time of the failure, there has been few
difference in the actions of growisofs and
libburn. The use of POW by growisofs comes
at the very end.

> maybe they are still bothering
> the drive during the burn.

Try to disable everything that complains about
the blank media. Only if those complaints are
all gone, try whether cdrskin and xorriso are
safe with their self-formatted or unformatted
BD-R.

On the other hand - given the price of BD-R -
it seems more economic to wait whether growisofs
fails to reach its final error in the next dozen
tries.

You could test cdrskin or xirriso with CD-RW
media. They are very vulnerable to disturbance
and can be blanked quickly after a coaster.

> Is there no kernel mechanism to quiesce the drive and then lock it for
> exclusive access?

LKML says its up to userspace to coordinate.

Userspace has no means for reliable mandatory
locking of the physical device.

> Is POW only needed for modifying UDF discs?

growisofs uses it to copy the "superblock" of
the newest ISO 9660 session over the superblock
of the first session.
So both, a smart operating system or a dumb OS,
will mount the newest directory tree.

I am not sure whether it happens with the first
session at all. But dvd+rw-tools formats the
media so that it can be done.

> This is getting expensive!  Thanks for all your help.

My comiserations.
I have few BD-R media and refrain from making
own stress tests.
I run two BD-Rs currently for daily incremental
backups. No disturbers - no failures.
(Although my first BD-R refused after 330
sessions to take another one. The drive said
"write error". I decided to keep it readable
rather than to try fixing its writeability.)

Again from economic view:
If BD-RE are not more than twice as expensive
than BD-R, then forget the BD-R.
In the sum you are much better off with BD-RE.

Technically i am very interested in finding out
what fails here.