Re: Announcing mkisofs 1.13

Hi,

> I happen to be maintainer of GNU GRUB, so yes ;-)

Nice incidence. I will leech you for the final
boot loader of the emerging libburnia OS farm.

> > (The question is about how one has to patch
> >  the boot image and/or the MBR after the block
> >  address of the boot image is determined.)

> I don't understand your question.  First 32 kiBs are used to embed a chunk
> of arbitrary data.

The System Area as of ECMA-119. The first 512
bytes can be used as MBR. So depending on the
media the BIOS can either boot via the El Torito
block or via the MBR.

With ISOLINUX/isohybrid i have to tell the MBR
where the boot image isolinux.bin is located on
the media. The method and the MBR template stems
from
  syslinux-3.72/utils/isohybrid
which operates on a El Torito enhanced ISO 9660
image in a disk file.
libisofs does this on-the-fly during image
generation, if desired by the application.

> The ideal would be if someone who's got good understanding
> of this standard will be interested in mentoring this project.

A person who understands ECMA-167.pdf and
udf260.pdf, and can sketch out a multi-session
layout for sequential media ... yes, that would
be ideal. :))

Mario wrote:
> genisofs

That one lies unprogrammed since only 3.5 years.
We'll have to wait a while until its decade of
hibernation is full. (I have escaped into xorriso
and am not to blame.)

(Also i build up the OS farm and am not to blame
 for not doing UDF in the next time.)

> What is libisofs main purpose?  Is it meant to be used by filesystem code in
> OS kernels, by some specific class of applications... ?

I see Mario answered already. Nevertheless
my two cents:

It shall be a complete ISO 9660 Rock Ridge
manipulator in userspace.
An alternative to the kernel for reading and
especially an opportunity for generating images.
Rock Ridge is quite essential for multi-session
because ISO 9660 namespace allows no decent
name mapping from a disk filesystem.
My personal goal is give it backup-grade
fidelity.

See the filesystem oriented capabilities of
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/xorriso_eng.html

(genisofs would be our mkisofs emulator. But i
 deem the architecture of separate ISO generator
 and burn program quite suboptimal. So i rather
 started an integrated ISO+burn tool.)