Re: Support for Lightscribe devices?

JOhn ROss POrter <joropo@pioneerwireless.net> wrote:

> Step 1: Using wodim to write a DVD.
> Step 2: Notice a line in the -v output directing me to "HINT: use
> dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction."

There is no need to use a separate program if you use the official cdrtools.

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

Be warned: there is no complete/correct DVD support in wodim.

The people who created wodim from cdrecord ripped of working DVD support code
and introduced a half baken replacement for unknown reasons...
cdrecord is a maintained project in contrary to wodim. cdrecord did already
include the needed code to support reading the media information in Febraury
1998 - this is more than 10 years ago.

Be also extremely careful with the mkisofs variant that comes with wodim, it
is full of bugs that never have been in the original and it is based on a three
year old version of mkisofs. None of the bugs that applies to wodim/cdrkit is
present in the original software.

> So,  I'm curious to learn if there is anybody working on support for
> Lightscribe devices in linux-land?  I recently installed such a device.
> I've also used the (very limited) interface provided for linux by the
> "Lightscribe-people" just to verify that the device functions.  (It does!)

Here is where I cannot help you. Ask the manufacturers to send me the needed
information and I will implement it.

Note that cdrecord was one of the first programs to implement Yamaha DiskT@too.
This was a result of the fact that companies like Yamaha did give me the needed
information. I have been asking for the information needed for lighscribe for a
long time to no avail. My advise is to find many people to complain about this
problem at the manufacturers.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)