Re: BD-R formatting help

Andy Polyakov wrote:
Releases turned to be feature driven lately and as no new features were
required (e.g. HD-DVD was dismissed) I had no immediate plans so far.
But as option to specify TDMA allocation is of apparent interest, it
might be appropriate to consider release in foreseeable future, i.e.
from week to month.
Ok, I'll try to keep my eyes open for it. Do you do an announce on this list?

I.e. you suffered from this problem with non-SATA unit? To reiterate.
You run dvd+rw-format and kernel starts logging "test unit ready: meduim
error." As you start dvd+rw-format in text console (i.e. without
starting windowing system), the kernel log appears as dvd+rw-format
output. Error messages are emitted till you press ctrl-c. Is it
correctly understood? Do you see any output from dvd+rw-format? Like
process indicator? What does dvd+rw-format print exactly? Basically I'm
running low on ideas, primarily because I couldn't reproduce this...
Your description sounds about right. Andy: would you like an ssh session to see it for yourself?
[Don't kill the messenger...] Yes. The real problem is that we don't
know how TDMA is used exactly and therefore it's hard to judge if it's
excessive or not. It surely varies from application to application and
it might be that for your purposes (I assume you pretty much fill the
media up at once) it's absolutely excessive. Best is to ask vendor for
recommendation. A.
I can't say for anyone else, but in my case, I would say that half is excessive. I kind of suspect that this would be how most users are going to use blu-ray anyways. I know there are several other very interesting uses for this type of media, but I think the most common will be the most boring. Just plain old burning something big.

Matt Schulte
Commtech, Inc.
Voice: 316-636-1131
Fax: 316-636-1163