Re: BD-R formatting help

Andy Polyakov wrote:
The source code change mentioned in originating post is correct and will be included [though in modified form] to next dvd+rw-tools update.
Great, any idea when you are planning your next release?
This I can't reproduce. In other words I managed to format BD-R disc with -ssa=4G, i.e. unit succeeded to format it with ~4GB spare area. Have you managed to record BD-R in this particular unit at all? Same question about BD-RE? What I'm trying to say is that the unit might simply be broken... Another option is a kernel bug, maybe in SATA support (as you mentioned it's SATA connected). Have you managed to record a DVD?
I have been able to record on this drive before. As long as I don't try to pre-format a BD-R. And I have never had any problems with the BD-RE's. I have also been able to record DVD's with this unit.

I am going to move to a SATA unit soon, but right now I'm still tinkering with the same kind of drive that you have.

Here's what I'm actually trying to do: I want to demonstrate to the customer how wonderful Blu-Ray is for data integrity. I want to say something like "see it can even detect a defect in the media on the fly and still successfully complete a burn." I want to be able to make a small scratch on the disc and then watch it burn around the scratch and keep going (I have actually done this). Problem is that a small scratch is hard to see and a large scratch is a really big chunk of disc capacity (hence my -ssa=4G).
Side note about spare area capacity. There is something they call TDMA, Temporary Disc Management Area, residing in Lead-In. As you allocate spare area, part of it will be reserved for *additional* TDMA regions. Relevant question is what part of it? MMC specification says that default value is up to vendor and in Panasonic case it seem to be 1/2 of spare area capacity. This means that if you ask your unit for spare area utilization data right after format, you'll see that 1/2 of it is already used. Well, it's not actually used, but reserved for TDMAs. Whether it's excessive or not, time will show. Meanwhile I'm considering adding extra option to dvd+rw-format, which would allow you to specify which portion of spare area will be reserved for TDMA. A.
Wait, are you saying that if you used -ssa=4G you are actually going to get 2G of spare and 2G of TDMA?

Matt Schulte
Commtech, Inc.
Voice: 316-636-1131
Fax: 316-636-1163