Re: Help: Burning multisession DVD+R with cdrecord 2.01.01a37

Sorry I haven't responded back sooner. I needed to switch gears and work on my employer's email/open ticket project. I was able to continue on yesterday late afternoon. Good news and same news. I was able to burn a multi-border DVD+R using cdrskin. The down side, it still does this funny thing where the drive only reads the last track mounted until it the disc is ejected, and then re-injected back into the system.

 root@noah:/media/sdc1/raws# cdrskin dev=/dev/scd0 -msinfo
 cdrskin 0.4.2 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
 cdrskin: NOTE : greying out all drives besides given dev='/dev/sr0'
 cdrskin: scanning for devices ...
 cdrskin: ... scanning for devices done
 0,11344

Then I moved file
 /media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02/rt.2008.02.06.tgz
out and I moved a new file
/media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02/rt.2008.02.07.tgz
in it's place.

Then I created a new track:
root@noah:/media/sdc1/raws# mkisofs -v -o track_02.iso -R -C 0,11344 -M 3,0,0 /media/sdc1/backups
  Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
  2.01.01a37 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
  ISO-9660 image includes checksum signature for correct inode numbers.
  Rock Ridge signatures found
  Scanning /media/sdc1/backups
Unknown file type (unallocated) /media/sdc1/backups/.. - ignoring and continuing.
  Scanning /media/sdc1/backups/rt
  Scanning /media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008
  Scanning /media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02
  Scanning /media/sdc1/backups/zimbra
Using RT_20000.TGZ;1 for /media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02/rt.2008.02.06.tgz (rt.2008.02.07.tgz)
  Writing:   Initial Padblock                        Start Block 11344
  Done with: Initial Padblock                        Block(s)    16
  Writing:   Primary Volume Descriptor               Start Block 11360
  Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor               Block(s)    1
  Writing:   End Volume Descriptor                   Start Block 11361
  Done with: End Volume Descriptor                   Block(s)    1
  Writing:   Version block                           Start Block 11362
  Done with: Version block                           Block(s)    1
  Writing:   Path table                              Start Block 11363
  Done with: Path table                              Block(s)    4
  Writing:   Directory tree                          Start Block 11367
  Done with: Directory tree                          Block(s)    5
  Writing:   Directory tree cleanup                  Start Block 11372
  Done with: Directory tree cleanup                  Block(s)    0
  Writing:   Extension record                        Start Block 11372
  Done with: Extension record                        Block(s)    1
  Writing:   The File(s)                             Start Block 11373
   73.23% done, estimate finish Thu Feb 14 15:54:38 2008
   97.68% done, estimate finish Thu Feb 14 15:54:38 2008
  Total translation table size: 0
  Total rockridge attributes bytes: 1314
  Total directory bytes: 8690
  Path table size(bytes): 56
  Done with: The File(s)                             Block(s)    8966
  Writing:   Ending Padblock                         Start Block 20339
  Done with: Ending Padblock                         Block(s)    150
  Max brk space used 0
  9145 extents written (17 MB)

Then, burn the new track_02.iso
root@noah:/media/sdc1/raws# cdrskin dev=/dev/scd0 -v padsize=300k -multi -tao track_02.iso
 cdrskin 0.4.2 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
 cdrskin: verbosity level : 1
 cdrskin: NOTE : greying out all drives besides given dev='/dev/sr0'
 cdrskin: scanning for devices ...
 cdrskin: ... scanning for devices done
 cdrskin: beginning to burn disc
cdrskin: status 3 BURN_DISC_APPENDABLE "There is an incomplete disc in the drive"
 Current: DVD+R
 Track 01: data    17 MB         padsize:  300 KB
 Total size:       18 MB (02:05.93) = 9295 sectors
 Lout start:       18 MB (02:07/93) = 9295 sectors
 Starting to write CD/DVD at speed MAX in real TAO mode for multi session.
 Last chance to quit, starting real write in   0 seconds. Operation starts.
 Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
 Starting new track at sector: 11344
 Track 01:   18 of   18 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  99%]   0.7x.
 cdrskin: thank you for being patient since 22 seconds
 Fixating...
 cdrskin: working post-track (burning since 32 seconds)
 Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 18728960/19038208 (9296 sectors).
 Writing  time:  32.372s
 Cdrskin: fifo had 9145 puts and 9145 gets.
 Cdrskin: fifo was 0 times empty and 3643 times full, min fill was 99%.
 Min drive buffer fill was 81%
 cdrskin: burning done

 root@noah:/media/sdc1/raws# cdrskin dev=/dev/scd0 -msinfo
 cdrskin 0.4.2 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
 cdrskin: NOTE : greying out all drives besides given dev='/dev/sr0'
 cdrskin: scanning for devices ...
 cdrskin: ... scanning for devices done
 11344,22688

Great. TIme to mount the DVD and see if the files are there:
 root@noah:/media/sdc1/raws# mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0
 mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
 root@noah:/media/sdc1/raws# cd /media/cdrom/
 rt/     zimbra/

 root@noah:/media/sdc1/raws# cd /media/cdrom/rt/2008/02/
 root@noah:/media/cdrom/rt/2008/02# ls
 rt.2008.02.06.tgz

This isn't right. This looks llike my old file/track. I double check to make sure my backup source is correct. Backup source is correct:
 root@noah:/media/cdrom/rt/2008/02# cd /media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02/
 root@noah:/media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02# ls
 rt.2008.02.07.tgz

I unmount, remount, no avail. Still only showing the rt.2008.02.06.tgz. So, I finally unmount, eject the disc, re-inject the disc, remount and bingo:
 root@noah:/# mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0
 mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
 root@noah:/# ls /media/cdrom0/rt/2008/02/
 rt.2008.02.06.tgz  rt.2008.02.07.tgz

This is great! Both files are present, exactly what I was looking for. I did another -msinfo to double check the disk:
 root@noah:/# cdrskin dev=/dev/scd0 -msinfo
 cdrskin 0.4.2 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
 cdrskin: NOTE : greying out all drives besides given dev='/dev/sr0'
 cdrskin: scanning for devices ...
 cdrskin: ... scanning for devices done
 11344,22688

Looks great the same as before. So now, the question is, can I somehow access these files with ejecting the DVD?

Joerg Schilling:

>Didn't I wrote -minfo?
>And btw: Multi-border is the official name for DVD handling for what people call multi session. >I know how to write Multi-border DVDs, I did this a year ago already. I cannot put it yet into the official cdrecord for stabiltiy reasons.

Ok, thanks for the info, as well as more clarification on the licensing issue. Since I am really concerned about creating multi-border (multi-session) DVD+R, I'm assuming that for now, until the code for burning multi-border DVDs are more stable, cdrecord won't be able to help me in that area? Did you still want me to provide the cdrecord -minfo output?

Thanks to everyone for you help.

Eric