Re: Help: Burning multisession DVD+R with cdrecord 2.01.01a37

Hi,

Joerg Schilling:
> What do you understand by "not closed"?

Again quoting from the description in MMC-5,
4.3.6.2.3 (Models, DVD, DVD+R):
"If the user wishes to disallow further writing after
the session is closed, it is possible to select a close
function to finalize the disc."

This is not done if cdrskin is run with option -multi.

If finalization is desired, i use
"CLOSE SESSION, 101b, Finalize with minimal radius"

> Please note that Thomas (in contrary to the people who created the wodim
> fork) writes own software

To be exacting:
The start of libburn was made by Derek Foreman and
Ben Jansens. They provided CD SAO and CD RAW.
Our team began to carry on about 1.5 years
ago and i added CD TAO. The handling of DVD is
inspired by studying the sources of growisofs
and the SCSI specs.

So libburn and cdrskin are deliberately independent
of cdrtools. A true technical alternative, although we
all cook with the same kind of water: SCSI subsection MMC.

> unfortunately his software is non-portable and only
> works on Linux.

This is the consequence of having no potential
users on other systems. The system dependencies are
separated from the portable code. I could learn from
growisofs how to operate the SCSI tunnels of other
systems ... but without a real test user this makes
not much sense.
We got an unused and unmaintained FreeBSD port. Shrug.

> even the idea of writing a CD/DVD writing _library_
> is based on a privileges missconception that is only
> present on Linux.

Before i begin to defend the library concept, a personal
statement: I hate .DLLs. Even if they are called .so.
We have seen it yesterday. They make life complicated.

But on the first hand, libburn is re-usable code with
a defined API and an upwards compatible ABI. Whether you
link its .o files directly, as static library or as dynamic
library, that is mainly a packager/sysadmin detail.
During development i compile with shell scripts which
produce debuggable standalone binaries.

> The idea of having such a library comes from GUI people

Yeah. But it needed a command liner to get it out
of the baby bed. :))

My motivation was my backup tool which depended
heavily on cdrtools and runs on Linux. There is
no love between cdrtools and Linux.

libburnia wants to be nice and cuddly with Linux.
Happy Valentine's Day, Darling !

We now got a workable libisofs, too.
Author is Vreixo Formoso.

Since about a month, i can do all of my backups
without needing mkisofs or genisoimage any more.
That is a big progress for any use case where
the original files cannot be frozen by a shutdown
or a snapshot.
With mkisofs the backups fail when files vanish
during image generation. New libisofs is willing to
go on in such a case - if the application has set
an according tolerance threshold.

The library concept shows its strengths by the
fact that our new ISO 9660 formatter app has
inherited own burn capabilities at very low
programming cost.
The capability to do multi-session without
juggling with a burn program and a formatter
program is very convenient. See growisofs.

> You need root privileges for cdrecord

For libburn, you need rw-access to the block
device file on Linux 2.6 resp. to the generic
device (sg) on Linux 2.4.
No problem ever has been traced back to missing
root privileges.

Possibly we inadvertedly restrict ourselves to what
the kernel programmers deem safe and reasonable
... or maybe it is just the power of love {:)