Re: Help: Burning multisession DVD+R with cdrecord 2.01.01a37

Hi,

> cdrskin dev=/dev/scd0 -v padsize=300k -multi -tao track_02.iso
> I finally unmount, eject the disc, re-inject the disc, remount and bingo:

Good news: cdrskin works as it should.

Intermezzo: growisofs would do about the same for you.
You would have to talk it into using the mkisofs which
cooperated properly with cdrskin.
man growisofs proposes:
  export MKISOFS=/path/to/trusted/mkisofs

But next i get a sour look on my face:

The block device driver and cdrskin are not in sync.
Ejecting and reloading discards the i/o cache.
So i assume that cache was outdated after cdrskin
has ended its work.
I know this effect from Linux 2.4 and CD images
smaller than 1 MB. Obviously it is present in your
Linux with much larger images.

To have cache and media out of sync is unhealthy.
The current state is not safe without ejecting.
So add option -eject to your cdrskin command
for now.

Well, 18 MB is ridiculous small for a DVD session.
DVD+R allows 153 sessions. Even with some overhead
between sessions it will be only 3 GB then.

So i urge you to make experiments with generous
padsize= . I would try values like 20m or 100m.
You should also make experiments with growisofs.
Maybe it knows a trick ... if so: tell me.

Any bystander here who knows how to refresh
the i/o cache of /dev/sr0 ? Best without the
need to be superuser. :))