Re: Help: Burning multisession DVD+R with cdrecord 2.01.01a37

Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

> There exist several similar attempts on writing libraries for tasks that cannot
> exist on platorms other than Linux because other platforms better check
> privileges/security. All these other libraries are derivates from cdrtools code
> and all also have license problems. This makes a lot of functionality seen in

Because of the "license" attacks from some Debian outsiders, it seems that I
need to go more in depth with this issue to avoid confusion:

-	The original code from cdrtools has no license problems

-	The libraries in question give license problems for three different
	reasons:

	-	A few projects took code from Heiko Eißfeldt that never has been
		published under GPL and claimed this code is under GPL. This
		is an obvious license/copyright violation. It was true for
		cdrdao and it is still true for e.g. GNU-vcdimager.

	-	libcdio e.g. took code from cdrtools that was under
		"GPLv2 _only_" and changed the license to "GPLv2 or any later"
		without permission from the Authors.

	-	libcdio and similar libs that are under GPL but are intended
		be used by LGPL libraries (like e.g. libgstreamer). As GPL and
		LGPL are incompatible (LGPL code may not call GPL code), this
		construct results in an implicit license violation
		"originated" by potential distributors of e.g. Linux, *BSD or
		Solaris OS-distributions.

		Distributors that ask lawyers and take care of license problems
		(like e.c. Sun) for this reason removed libcdio from their
		distribution.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)