Re: Help: Burning multisession DVD+R with cdrecord 2.01.01a37

Eric Wanchic wrote:
Thanks for replying.(^_^)

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

I've moved from growisofs [...] to wodim,
finally to cdrecord cdrecord 2.01.01a37.

What was the reason to give up growisofs ?

It is supposed to do multi-session on DVD+R if
you do not use options -dvd-compat or -dvd-video.

Reason 1: I read the man page and I did exactly what it stated, and it wasn't working for me. Please see my current posting (5 days old) on ubuntuforums - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4288486

No body could really help me with this issue. But as you will see I didn't stop there. I also began to analyze K3B's debugging output. I had the most difficult time trying to find any more documentation that wasn't already included in the man pages, or through google searches to see what it was I could be doing wrong.

Reason 2: I finally went to |#cdrkit| on |irc.oftc.net |and waited four days before I finally got a response. One of the chat members stated:
1. I see you have found one of our bugs. I think we are long overdue for an upgrade.
2. Sorry, I can't help you. I've never worked with multisession DVD +Rs.
3. Why don't you try http://www.mail-archive.com/cdwrite@other.debian.org/info.html. They might be able to help you.

I think [1] is a hint, I bet you used a vendor hack of growisofs instead of downloading and building the real program from source. That doesn't mean I promise it will work for you, just that you know what you have. Oh, and it works for me, one session, multi-session, DVD-R, DVD+R, etc, etc.

I would say the same thing about cdrecord, while wodim has fixed many annoying things about cdrecord[1], various vendor versions seem to provide enough "learning experiences" to justify using real cdrecord, or at least not calling wodim cdrecord, because it isn't... quite. Still, it is the only tool for burning fancy CDs, unless the very latest cdrskin has added more capabilities.

[1] the following things make cdrecord unpleasant to use:
- must run as root.
- whines about using real device names instead of meaningless numbers.
  support is not "unintentional," code was added to make it work
- whines about losing data if not run as root
  a simple "didn't set rt" message would tell the user, data loss doesn't happen with burnfree
  in any case, and cdrecord complains even to do information like prcap, msinfo or atip,
  indicating it is setting rt when not needed.
- program advises to drop back to the last millennium and run 2.4 Linux kernels
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still