Re: Doesn't wodim close disk ?

Hi,

me (quoting from man growisofs):
> > growisofs -M /dev/sr0=/dev/zero
Joerg Schilling:
> This will make the disk unuable....

It looks weird, yes.
But to my knowledge this command copies the
first 64 kB from the previous session to the
new session.
If those 64 kB contain the superblock of the
filesystem and if this superblock is relocatable
without change, then the trick works.

I know that the volume descriptors of ISO 9660
can be relocated that way and still keep their
meaning. About UDF, i am unsure. I read that
both superblocks of UDF and ISO can co-exist.
Maybe the UDF superblock is located in the
first 32 kB ?

Whatever, Gregoire reports, the closed DVD+R
bears the expected files on the burner of his
Linux system.
So it can hardly be totally spoiled.

> readcd f=file.out sectors=0-2146272

One may as well use
  dd if=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 skip=0 count=2146272 of=file.out

> cdrecord -v -sao file.out
> This way you get a new medium that will work on the MAC.

It would be interesting to make this experiment.

Gregoire did not explicitely confirm that the
result of  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z  does work
on OSX.
But i assume he would have reported the contrary
if that was the fact.