Re: No supported write modes with LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW

Joe MacDonald wrote:
Hi Thomas,

On 9/11/07, *Thomas Schmitt* <scdbackup@gmx.net <mailto:scdbackup@gmx.net>> wrote:

    Hi,

    Joe MacDonald:
    > So I'm guessing this is an indication of a problem
    > in the Linux device driver, maybe at the SATA level,
    > maybe in SG?

    I would assume that SG is not to blame but rather
    the SATA specific code. Possibly even specific to
    the VIA VT6240 SATA controller.

    Burning seems to work with a VIA VT6421 and with a
    nVidia CK804 controller (i asked a friend about
    his well working hardware with contemporary SuSE
    Linux).

    Do you plan to go on with exploring the problem ?

I absolutely do. I realized that in a couple of my later replies to Jörg yesterday I inadvertently cut the list from the recipient lists, I'll probably send out an update on what he was able to learn from my further testing with Windows for the sake of anyone coming by later and looking at the list archives.

In short, though, burning with cdrecord works (I think as expected) in Windows, which I think everyone can already guess from the exchanges on the list.

Either way, it doesn't work in linux so doing backups to DVDs (which is generally how I like doing my backups) becomes a pain, to say the least, if I have to backup my ext3 partition data from Windows. So I'm pretty motivated to see this one through. And buying an add-on SATA controller is my last resort since that benefits no one but me. :-)

You might as well try growisofs, it's easy to learn, will create an ISO image with mkisofs if asked, or burn a prepared image, or burn from a pipe. Only drawback is burning DVD only, no CD. For backup that's unlikely to be an issue. I understand your wish to stay with the familiar, but at the moment growisofs would be a data point as to works or not, and a way for you to move forward. And if the bug can be shown in other software, kernel developers might look at it more readily.

    Else we could repeat the old experiment which i made
    with a user on the debburn-devel list.
    It resulted in this error
       5 1A 00 PARAMETER LIST LENGTH ERROR
    when any mode page was sent.

That was the list of steps you sent yesterday? I was focused on Jörg's suggestions since my preference is to continue using what I know (that would be cdrecord) but I'm all for gathering as much data as I can before I try to approach SCSI and/or SATA developers.

    If you post a bug report then please point me
to the place where the discussion happens.

Will do. My preference at this point would be to do it somewhere like the Ubuntu bug tracker, but that will complicate things slightly since Ubuntu ships wodim and most of my testing has been post-wodim-removal. But we'll see how that goes. I had remarkable success there before when I brought up alsa problems.
Does ubuntu still use wodim? I thought that there was a move to go back to cdrtools.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc