Re: No supported write modes with LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW

Hi,

Joe MacDonald:
> So I'm guessing this is an indication of a problem
> in the Linux device driver, maybe at the SATA level,
> maybe in SG?

I would assume that SG is not to blame but rather
the SATA specific code. Possibly even specific to
the VIA VT6240 SATA controller.

Burning seems to work with a VIA VT6421 and with a
nVidia CK804 controller (i asked a friend about
his well working hardware with contemporary SuSE
Linux).

Do you plan to go on with exploring the problem ?

One would have to bring it to the attention of
the SCSI driver developers. For that one would have
to describe the command sent and the error reply
received. I assume cdrecord -V can tell both.

Else we could repeat the old experiment which i made
with a user on the debburn-devel list.
It resulted in this error
   5 1A 00 PARAMETER LIST LENGTH ERROR
when any mode page was sent.

If you post a bug report then please point me
to the place where the discussion happens.
(I would either start with a request for advise
at ubuntu-users or directly jump into the cold
water of LKML.)
I am very interested in learning which kernels
are affected and whether there is a remedy.

Non-technical hint:
It will be psycho-dynamically helpful if you
can point to growisofs or cdrskin as failing
programs too.
If the developers blame the problem on cdrecord
alone, then this should help to bring the discussion
back to a technical level.