Re: cdrecord problems

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

me:
growisofs claims to be able, cdrecord claims to be able.
Joerg Schilling:
I cannot speak for growisofs but cdrecord is definitely able to correctly
copy DVD-Video with DVD+R/DL and driveropts=layerbreak=#

"claims" does not mean i doubt it. I just did
not test it myself. Different from other things
which i carefully tested with all our wealth
of burn programs.

I have not yet been able to set the layer break for DVD-R/DL.

Reading MMC-5 i am not sure wether it is mandatory
to set a layer break explicitely.

Paragraph 4.3.5 "DVD-R Dual Layer" talks much about Layer
Jump Recording (flip-flopping between layers) but is quite
silent about DAO and Incremental.

I saw a discussion on one of the lists I read about using a DL as though it were two media, and selecting between them. I confess it doesn't seem to solve any problems I have, and I didn't spend much time studying the matter, I may be incorrect about the claims.
Paragraph 4.3.7 "DVD+R Dual Layer" is much more detailed
about the layer hop. Nevertheless there is a statement
which makes me believe it is worth a try to just write
to it as to a fat DVD+R.

That seems to work. I did some backups that way, creating big files and just burning them. I believe I used growisofs but I can't be sure after the fact. Reading the data back produced no read errors and a correct md5sum, I did wipe the original and test restore, though. ;-)
In 4.3.7.5 "Recording on DVD+R DL":
"The Host is permitted to select a smaller address for
 this location (See 6.34)."
6.34 describes MMC command BFh SEND DISC STRUCTURE.
I guess they mean: 6.34.3.2.4 "Format = 20h: Layer Boundary Information"

I would be interested to learn about your opinion
and experiences.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc