Re: cdrecord problems

Joerg Schilling wrote:
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

But reading wodim's source for write-mode detection
i have to conclude that hald would have to _reliably_
sabotage at least half a dozen consequtive attempts
to set the write parameters by mode page 05h.

If this part of wodim has bot been bastardized, cdrecord would
behave the same but the only way to find this out is to try a non-bastardized source from
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/

The people who did create the wodim fork did add many intentional
indentation changes in order to pretend work in progress. As wodim is
also based on a very old version of cdrecord, it is hard to compare the source....

I think that updating wodim is a good idea anyway,
Agreed.

NO, it definitely does not make sense to put any effort in a dead
fork. Another point against wodim is that it intentionally added
bugs during it's lifetime because it's maintainer did believe it
is possible to write CDs on Linux without having root privileges.

Yes, and important capability cdrecord still lacks. And a good reason to try other software, because most sensible administrators don't want all their users having root access. Burning as root is suitable for personal, home, and hobby systems, but is not acceptable as a solution to application software limitations in a production environment.
These bugs never have been removed before the fork died 3 months ago.

Offtopic:

Hal on Linux is a nightmare. As long as the Linux kernel developers and the developers for hal on Linux do not listen to experienced people, there is
little hope that this will ever change.

If there are problems in hal (and I totally agree there are), they are in hal, and it's not a kernel problem if someone writes an ill-behaved application and then runs it as root. And I think "nightmare" is an exaggeration, "annoyance" might be closer, since hal is not a required process.
Solaris did change to hal a year ago (because of Gnome). Before, Solaris did use the old 1992 Sun "vold" that did never have any problem with CD/DVD writing. For this reason, I was afraid that Solaris was changing from software that worked on Solaris for many years to something that creates a lot of problems on Linux.

The big difference between the Linux folks and the Solaris folks is that the Solaris folks take possible issues with CD/DVD recording very seriously.
The person who did implement the code transition did listen very carefully to
my explanations on why cdrecord works on Solaris and why it does not work
on Linux. This is why there are no kown problems even after the change.
And all this time I thought it was because everyone else could figure out how to do burning on Linux without root and you can't. Or because you wanted to claim the problems are in the kernel instead of limitations in your own software.