Re: cdrecord problems

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
* Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> [2007-07-27 11:55:19 -0400]:

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 09:59:36AM -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
Perhaps I am talking out of turn here, but isn't this mailing list
restricted to covering the Debian fork (reference
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/09/msg00002.html>)?
No, this mailing list predates 2006 by quite some time.  It's a general
list for discussion of all CD and DVD writing software, although in
practice, it's just for Unix-type systems.

It just happens to be hosted by Debian.

Thanks.
Don't let the flame wars get to you... wodim is just as much on-topic
here as cdrecord is, and each one has its place.

Oh, I'm used to flame wars, but not so used to paranoia.

Actually, paranoia has it's own mailing list, although the credits in cdrecord mention that some of the ripping code originated in the cdparanoia library. These days it's mainly used for ripping less than perfect audio CDs, and not much discussed here.

I'm on the list, not on this machine, and would get you an address if you (a) want to join and (b) can't easily find it.
I do have a question, though.  I know about cdrecord, wodim, and
dvd+rw-tools.  But are there any other CD/DVD writing engines out their?
Ones with source code, that is.

You didn't mention cdrskin, that has some cdrecord compatibility modes, but will work in Linux without being root. I did recently discover that it has limitations doing odd raw burns, but that's not a usual requirement, and it politely says "I can't do that" instead of doing it wrong.
I don't mean alternate front ends, but engines.  Is there a good site
with a feature matrix?  This site, though amusing, does not have one:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdrecord

Perhaps someone who is not an author of an engine could update and improve that. A neutral third party.
One more bit of more sour amusement:

   http://www.arklinux.org/projects/dvdrtools/

   This page is temporarily down because of spammer attacks; until it
   comes back, you can download dvdrtools from svn ...

Now who would do a thing like that?

Who can understand the anti-social mind anyway?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc