Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for your quick reply!

On Monday 02 April 2007 00:02, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Kish Shen <kish.shen@crosscoreop.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > [I sent this message several hours ago from another email address, but it has not appear yet, so
> > I am trying again with a different e-mail address]
> >
> > I am trying to write a .ts file to a DVD+R Double Layer disk, so far without success. The file has a size of 4613734320. I issue the command:
>
> What is a .ts file?
> Why do you need it?

This is a file I downloaded, and I think .ts is some sort of container format for video (mplayer
is able to play it direct).

I am trying to archive it so I can remove it from my HD -- I don't really have enough room to
keep it around my HD

> In about 2 months, there will be a new version that supports files up to 8 TB.
> If you use Linux, you then will need to check whether the Linux kernel correctly
> supports multi-extent files. I will add the needed multi-extent file support to
> OpenSolaris at the same time....

That would be great! Would I be able to append to the +R double layer disk that I have
written to with a previous version of growisofs?

> If you have problems with double layer disks, better use the cdrecord that
> comes with cdrtools-2.01.01a24. Note that you need to call cdrecord as root
> or install it suid root.

I will take a look at this. I assume I will need to use a new disk to do this, and cannot append
the file to the double layer disk I have already partially written to using growisofs.

> Jörg

Thanks again!

Kish