Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Kish Shen <kish.shen@crosscoreop.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> [I sent this message several hours ago from another email address, but it has not appear yet, so
> I am trying again with a different e-mail address]
>
> I am trying to write a .ts file to a DVD+R Double Layer disk, so far without success. The file has a size of 4613734320. I issue the command:

What is a .ts file?
Why do you need it?

> growisofs -Z /dev/sr1 -R -J  pd
>
> where pd is where my files are.
>
> I get the message:
>
> mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File pd/....ts  is too large - ignoring
>
> and the file is not written. This is with growisofs version 7.0, and mkisofs 2.01.01a24

mkisofs currently only allows to write file with a max. size of 4 GB - 2k.

In about 2 months, there will be a new version that supports files up to 8 TB.
If you use Linux, you then will need to check whether the Linux kernel correctly
supports multi-extent files. I will add the needed multi-extent file support to
OpenSolaris at the same time....

> I updated my growisofs and mkisofs to these versions because those that came with my Linux (growisofs: version 5.17, mkisofs: 2.01a27) does not recognise the DVD+R DL media:
>
> linux:/home/kish # growisofs -Z /dev/sr1 -R -J pd
> :-( /dev/sr1: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 2B

If you have problems with double layer disks, better use the cdrecord that
comes with cdrtools-2.01.01a24. Note that you need to call cdrecord as root
or install it suid root.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)