Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Kish Shen <kish.shen@crosscoreop.com> wrote:

> Hi Jörg,
>
> On Monday 02 April 2007 00:02, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > If you have problems with double layer disks, better use the cdrecord that
> > comes with cdrtools-2.01.01a24. Note that you need to call cdrecord as root
> > or install it suid root.
> >
> > Jörg
> >
> I took a look at cdrecord, and looked at the man page, but I am not sure if I understand how to
> use it -- can I use it to create a backup of my file(s)? My DVD rewriter is a USB device, and not
> a SCSI device, and I am not sure what the device number and LUN etc. are for it (I only know
> that /dev/sr1 and /dev/scd1 both map to it). Should I do something like:
>
> mkisofs -R /master/tree  |  cdrecord  speed=2  dev=2,0

See the man page for cdrecord....
This will not work as you need to know the size of the session in advance.
There are examples in the man page how to specify the size.

dev= is unneeded in case that you only have one single CD/DVD writer.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)