Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Wasn't there, some time ago, a problem with Linux and DMA transfers with sizes that were not a power of two? Could you patch growisofs in order to use like 17 or 23 sectors per transfer and see what happens?

I believe that the problem was only related to size % 512 != 0

Ah ok

My NEC 3540A and 4550A are running fine on such a cable on Windows, with UDMA2, even connected to the 90cm connector, but attaching a Plextor drive to the other connector causes problems.

Could you tell us what exact problems you did have?
Did you see "logical unit communication falure" too?

On both (!) drives, I got logical unit communication failure as well as LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION CRC ERROR (ULTRA-DMA/32). When trying to use a Pioneer drive + a Plextor drive on the same channel with the same cable, the Pioneer drive continued to work correctly, the Plextor drive again reported CRC errors. However, this was not limited to any special application or read mode, it happened in the windows explorer just like with readcd or Nero CD-DVD Speed.

As you can see, sometimes the behaviour of 2 drives on the same channel is just erratic.

Did you use a 40 or a 80 wire cable?

80 wire.

Alexander