Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Matthias Andree wrote:

Alexander Noé schrieb am 2006-02-11:

Change the UDMA mode to a lower setting and try again. Try a better IDE cable and try again.

As UDMA/33 works properly for everything else like growisofs reading or
writing a DVD (16X) or such, and FreeBSD (same computer, multi-boot)
manages -c2scan just fine with UDMA/33, I'd not look for hardware faults
here. It's rather an incompatibility between cdrecord and Linux or a
libscg or Linux bug.

Which transfer length does growisofs use? A sector is 2048 bytes, so if it uses 16 or 32 sectors per transfer, the transfer size would be a power of 2.

Wasn't there, some time ago, a problem with Linux and DMA transfers with sizes that were not a power of two? Could you patch growisofs in order to use like 17 or 23 sectors per transfer and see what happens?

Did you try to extract an audio CD with cdda2wav on Linux?

Last time I tried, NEC drives didn't work with crappy IDE cables.

I don't think that this is NEC specific, and since you were talking of
90 cm cable which is > ~10% of the wavelength, I'm not surprised there's
trouble. ISTR the maximum allowed length is 18 inches (45 cm).

It is not NEC specific, *newer* Plextor drives and LiteOn drives have the same problem especially with cheap long cables.

My NEC 3540A and 4550A are running fine on such a cable on Windows, with UDMA2, even connected to the 90cm connector, but attaching a Plextor drive to the other connector causes problems.

Alexander