Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Alexander Noé schrieb am 2006-02-11:

> Change the UDMA mode to a lower setting and try again. Try a better
> IDE cable and try again.

As UDMA/33 works properly for everything else like growisofs reading or
writing a DVD (16X) or such, and FreeBSD (same computer, multi-boot)
manages -c2scan just fine with UDMA/33, I'd not look for hardware faults
here. It's rather an incompatibility between cdrecord and Linux or a
libscg or Linux bug.

The culprit needs yet to be identified, my next plan is to retry with a
current Linux 2.6.15.X kernel and then dig deeper if the problem
persists, but I'm not in a hurry. Two other drives available for Linux
for C2 scans.

> Last time I tried, NEC drives didn't work with crappy IDE cables.

I don't think that this is NEC specific, and since you were talking of
90 cm cable which is > ~10% of the wavelength, I'm not surprised there's
trouble. ISTR the maximum allowed length is 18 inches (45 cm).

--
Matthias Andree