Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:

> >> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> >> Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00
> >> Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
> >> Sense Code: 0x08 Qual 0x00 (logical unit communication failure) Fru 0x0
> >> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> >> resid: 123748
> >> cmd finished after 6.422s timeout 40s
> >> readcd: Success. Cannot read source disk
> >> readcd: Retrying from sector 49.
> >
> > Did you try this on a platform that is known to work?
>
> I'm not interested in "known to work", but as the drive works with
> FreeBSD 6-STABLE, is there a better way to isolate the problem than
> running readcd with -v -V -d under strace(1) supervision?

In case you don't understand "known to work", I refer to Operating systems
that don't have SCSI related issues for a time that is long enough. I
currently know of two platforms that would fall into this category: MS-WIN
and Solaris.

I have the impression that you are using Linux and Linux definitely
does not fall into this category (since ~ 2001, no SCSI bug I am aware of has
been fixed in Linux). In case of unknown problems, it makes sense to change
things in order to find the reason.

BTW: Did you run  FreeBSD 6-STABLE om exactly the same HW?

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)