Re: cdrecord on linux 2.6.x x > 2.6.8

Thanos Kyritsis <djart@hellug.gr> writes:

> Αρχικό μήνυμα από  Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@citd.de>:
>

>> No. But "the other" solutions works flawlessly (for me).
>> ssh root@localhost
>> <...>
>>
>> (I haven't use sudo, so i don't know if it is also a solution)
>
> This is not a solution, it is totally lame.
>
> Unix and Unix-like Operating Systems are not like Windows, where you constantly
> log in as Administrator and have full power over a whole bunch of things you
> never need.
>
> It should work flawlessly for the users that have the right permissions over the
> devices AND for those users that are allowed to execute suid-root applications
> (for the realtime priority to work).

Waiting for a better solution, in Mandrakelinux I have deactivated the
suid bit of cdrecord. cdrecord works well as user (it doesn't if the
binary is suid), except it cannot set high priority, but on recent
hardware this is not very problematic, moreover having one less suid
binary on the system is not so bad.

--
Warly