Re: additional data cant read dvd after write]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: cant read dvd after write
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:45:26 -0700
From: Randolph Jones <jonesrf1@qwest.net>
To: cdwrite@other.debian.org

It helps to keep related reports in single thread.

I sent an earlier mail re unable to write to dvd
After modifying fstab to remove /dev/cdrom and writing a cdrom using
/dev/dvd, I was able to apparently write a dvd, but cant read it.
The updating rma and flushing cache took longer than writing the 20mb disc
below is the command and output from my rh9 2.4.22 system

[root@rfj dvd+rw-tools-5.20.4.10.8]# ./growisofs -dvd-compat -verbose
-speed=1 -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /home/rfj/jpg
Executing 'mkisofs -verbose -R -J /home/rfj/jpg | builtin_dd of=/dev/dvd
obs=32k seek=0'
10608 extents written (20 Mb)

Only 20MB? What do you need DVD for:-):-):-)

[root@rfj dvd+rw-tools-5.20.4.10.8]# ./dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [ATAPI   ][DVD DUAL 8X4X12 ][ATC1]
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank

Sounds somewhat similar to last bullet at http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/hcn.html. Definitely not same as note refers to DVD+RW, while you use DVD-R, so you can't use the workaround, but you should burn at least 1GB before drawing any conclusions. A.