Re: unsequential file inode numbering

On further investigation, I've noticed if I mkudffs two 4707319808 byte images and make a whole ton of files on each, whether they be of zero length or varying length, there is some pattern to which blocks can be used as inodes. Noticably these numbers nearly follow a pattern but I have no idea as of why? Perhaps someone can tell me?

On udf image 1, the starting block to next usable block (exclusively) at each unusable chunk are as follows:

458 to 459 (ie, could not create file starting at block 458, but could at 459)
462 to 471
843 to 864
1235 to 1249
1307 to 1326
1699 to 1719
2091 to 2112
2483 to 2505
2875 to 2898
etc.

The differences between first starting block number after each bad spot is often (for example 2989 - 2505 =) 393!

On udf image 2 however, these numbers are remarkably different:

483 to 511
1265 to 1288
2043 to 2065
2819 to 2834
2915 to 2936
3691 to 3713
X to 4490
Y to 5095
Z to 5872

and in this case the diff between first startinb block number after each bad spot is often (for example 5872 - 5095 =) 777!

If I do it via packet writing onto a dvd disc, in one instance it behaved similarly to udf image 2 having the same first 3 bad areas with first good block after at 511, 1288, and 2065, but then did its own thing after that.

Can someone tell me why this is? Sorry for posting so many times, I just keep coming up with new information from testing and am anxious for a helpful reply!

Thanks again,

Jeff