Re: tar, backup, growisofs, file names

> now i dropped the last point and create a temporal file on the
> harddisk first. here is my script:
> /bin/tar $TAR_OPTS
> bzip2 --best $BKFILE
> BKFILE="$BKFILE.bz2"
> growisofs $MODE /dev/dvd -J -R $BKFILE

Keep in mind for example
http://www.mail-archive.com/cdwrite@other.debian.org/thrd4.html#04255.
For media interoperability [under Linux], make sure files are smaller
that 2GB-1.

> now i my resulting file gets truncated when written to dvd+rw and i end up with
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       626862 Dec  8 09:08 lukas-2003-12-08-full.tar.bz2
>
> it should have been 1.4Gig in size, aproximatly.

Take for habit to include *exact* output generated by the program (well,
excluding progress indicator maybe). Also complement it with
dvd+rw-mediainfo output for resulting recording. Try to generate iso
image separately and check it for sanity. E.g. if growisofs command line
was 'growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files', run 'mkisofs -R -J
/some/files > image.iso' and then 'mount -o ro,loop image.iso
/tmp/test'. If you fail to access files in /tmp/test, then it's mkisofs
problem, something I can't really help with.

> I would have imagined that growisofs takes care of media-size?

It does take care of media-size.

> i see that mkisofs has the -stream-media-size option. do i have to
> set that?

No, you don't. A.