Re: tar, backup, growisofs, file names

> You can easily have the same effect with DVD+RW and kernel-patch:
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes,
you still need the kernel support for below. For writing part in
particular, not for reading. Question was if it's possible to arrange
for this *without* kernel support. Just a side note...

> tar ... | dd obs=16k seek=0 of=/dev/sr0
                   ^^^ Recommended value is natural DVD ECC blocksize,
which is 32K. 16K would work too with DVD+RW, but I still recommend 32KB
and /dev/raw/rawN. Just a side note...

> Remaining question: can each of these tar files be burnt into its own
> session (or whatever that's called on DVD)?

DVD+RW has no notion of sessions, and therefore you have no other
option, but to come up with own way to tell tars apart. Volker has
covered it well: either write down addresses or use distinct delimiters.
DVD+R and DVD-R[W] Sequential have notion of sessions, which can serve
as tar delimiters.

> In that case, it should be
> possible to use any DVD+-R(W)
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not any, all but DVD+RW. DVD+RW is too
"true random" for this:-)
> and growisofs (making sure not ti
> fixate), instead of the kernel patch.

growisofs supports -M /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0 since 5.10 [you have to specify
sane -C parameters to convince growisofs to start such recording
though], so the answer to the question is "yes, it's possible to burn
every tar-file in own session, but not on DVD+RW." A.