Re: DVD recording adventures..

>  Only problem, apart from that
> speed=4 is ignored completely (set to 2)

The NEC1300 burner is not capable of burning DVD+ at 4x, only 2.4x. It
may do DVD- at 4x. Never believe anything marketroids say and read the
specs carefully to get info closer to the truth.

> , with proDVD
> the system clock runs at half speed..

Been there, done that. You must turn on DMA for the burner (always a
good idea), this is even neceaary on P4-2.4G machines.
hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc (or whereever your burner is)
Consult your distro docs for how to make this permanent.

> DVD burning with
> Linux is a big mess at the moment

No doubt. This is largely caused by new and evolving technology, plus
the fact that hardware manufacturers couldn't care less about Linux
(but you still have to pay the Nero tax anyway).

> Is it all because of the NEC?

Partly probably, their firmware support is somewhat lacking.

> Can anyone confirm my problems
> and/or recommend another device that is known to work well
> under Linux?

Pioneer seems to be fine, at least my 106 goes well with
cdrecord-prodvd and growisofs (both for both DVD+ and DVD-). The Sony
510 is very expensive, and had some Linux-drawback somewhere (can't
remember what).

> Is there any device that has a Linux firmware update-tool?

Some (all?) Ricoh drives, called rpl8. Pioneer has installers which run
standalone from floppy (fine), but you need Windows to unpack and create
the floppy (morons).

> Do all DVD recorders only accept media that they know of?

Essentially yes. It used to be the same with CD burners. I guess it'll
be somewhat longer before things stabilise. Some DVD-burner-makers seem
to be especially bad at making their firmware work with cheap media
(e.g. NEC, if you google, you find people saying ".. and then NEC told
me it was not their responsibility to make sure the burner works with
all the media media-makers come up with all the time...").

> (Sure, this is a measure of quality assurance

No, there's more to it than that. The burner needs to adopt to the
characteristics of the media. For each burner you can find media which
it doesn't burn, so buy carefully.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.