Re: DVD recording adventures..

Hello Andy,

thanks for your response. Please note that my somewhat frustrated
story was not meant to be an accusation against anyone. It was
just a narration of my experiences so far with the hope someone
could give me some hints - and not necessarily the author of one
of the tools, the existence of which I certainly appreciate :)
But back to the facts..

> Does it mean that you did *not* care to upgrade firmware or did you?

Of course I did, after I found the version with DOS-installer -
it is now on the official 1.08 (including support for a new
bunch of media I purchased).

> NEC units are well-known for poor support for some DVD-dash
> media brands and you better upgrade firmware..

As I mentioned, in my case the dash-media looked a lot better
than most of the plus I tried. Not regarding the process of
burning, but the results.

Unreadable means, parts (something between only the (probably) rear part up
to the biggest part) of the DVD cannot be read in my DVD ROM drive
(Toshiba). It can read the directory, but when it comes to reading certain
data the drive gets stuck. I already did some tests with other ROM-drives.
I have not noticed such problems with any dash-media until now. But as I
said, can be the poor quality of the media, or the drive being defective
when it comes to plus (does it use different write-heads?).  After all, I
believe the drive is doing the writing as such, not the program sending
the data, right?

> Does it mean that that application programs succeeded and did not report
> any errors, yet one of disc was unreadable?

I do not think there is a problem with the recording software
here. No error messages with plus. See above. Problems in the writing
process / at the end of it are only with dash-media.

> It should not be necessary to ask what messages exactly!

:) Sorry, was already preparing some log messages.
Had no access to them before, should have mentioned that.
But had found some of them already in this mailing list,
without solutions (then I would not have a problem anymore).

> What's dvd+rw-mediainfo output for affected media?

** hifan@lxMedia:~> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/scd0

INQUIRY:                [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-1300A ][1.08]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0eh]:
 MediaID:               VDSPMSAB 01
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Last border-out at:    2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           blank
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           2298496*2KB
 Track Size:            2298496*2KB

Same with princo discs (the timeouts of dvdrecord, did not try
growisofs with them yet).

** Same disc as above with proDVD-atip:

Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01a12 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : '_NEC    '
Identifikation : 'DVD_RW ND-1300A '
Revision       : '1.08'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-2 DVD-R/DVD-RW driver (mmc_dvd).
Driver flags   : DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
book type:       DVD-R, Version 5 (2.5)
disc size:       120mm (0)
minimum rate:    Not specified (15)
number of layers:0
track path:      Parallel Track Path (0)
layer type:      Rewritable Area (2)
linear density:  0.267 µm/bit (0)
track density:   0.74 µm/track (0)
phys start:      196608
phys end:        2495103
end layer 0:     0
bca:             0
phys size:...    2298496
copyr prot type: 0
region mgt info: 0
application code:64
physical code:   193
last rec address:16621272
part v./ext code:5/2
ind wr. power:   234
wavelength code: 11
write str. code: 14 76 78 80
Manufacturer:   'VDSPMSAB 01'
rzone number:       1
border number:      1
amage:             0
reserved:           0 blank: 1 incremental: 0
nwa valid:          1
rzone start:        0
next wr addr:       0
free blocks:        2298496
blocking factor:    16
rzone size:         2298496
last recorded addr: 0

** the log messages after growisofs with dash-medium
   (after this the result can be mounted under Linux, but is
    not recognized by Windows)

Nov  2 18:51:39 lxMedia kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
66177, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
Nov  2 18:51:49 lxMedia kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
66177, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
Nov  2 18:51:49 lxMedia kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 66177) timed out -
resetting
Nov  2 18:51:49 lxMedia kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel0.
Nov  2 18:51:49 lxMedia kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
Nov  2 18:51:51 lxMedia kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Nov  2 18:51:51 lxMedia kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
66177, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
Nov  2 18:51:51 lxMedia kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 66177) timed out -
resetting
Nov  2 18:51:51 lxMedia kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel0.
Nov  2 18:51:53 lxMedia kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete
This was kernel 2.4.20.

** the log messages after dvdrecord timeout while fixating
   (after that the result cannot be mounted under Linux, but
    reading with Windows is no problem - now compare with
    the situation above :)

Nov  4 01:33:15 lxMedia kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
42515, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Nov  4 01:33:25 lxMedia kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
42515, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
Nov  4 01:33:25 lxMedia kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 42515) timed out -
resetting
Nov  4 01:33:25 lxMedia kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel0.
Nov  4 01:33:25 lxMedia kernel: SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 42515)
timed out - trying harder
Nov  4 01:33:25 lxMedia kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel0.

Nothing more ever - bus totally hangs after this, no eject, no
mount, any such process not killable (with -9).
This was with kernel 2.4.22. Under 2.4.20, it came back to life
after about a minute (with log messages like above for growisofs).

OK, thats it. Abandon all hope?

Looks like the close session / close disk command leads to this
when a dash-medium is inside.
But is it the drive, the Linux IDE driver, the recording app?

Still I would be interested in
- Do all recorders only accept media they know?
  And if yes, and you say NEC has poor support, do all the others
  have very frequent firmware updates?
- Are there drives with Linux-firmware-flashing-tools?

Thanks for caring,
Florian Lindauer