Re: DVD recording adventures..

Hello Volker,

>The NEC1300 burner is not capable of burning DVD+ at 4x, only 2.4x. It
>may do DVD- at 4x. Never believe anything marketroids say

The latter certainly is true, but I really dont believe it cant
burn + at 4x - after all, the NEC has evolved from its predecessor,
the 1100, which was a pure plus-device. And our c't magazine here
did lots of tests with the drive and 4x-media.
Problem with me probably is that none of my plus-media is
certified 4x.

>> the system clock runs at half speed..
>Been there, done that. You must turn on DMA for the burner (always a
>good idea), this is even neceaary on P4-2.4G machines.

It definitely had DMA (-d1) enabled. And unmaskirq. Looks like
additional 32bit (-c1) did the trick. And all needs to be
set anew after one of my nice timeouts / bus resets.

>the fact that hardware manufacturers couldn't care less about Linux
>(but you still have to pay the Nero tax anyway).

Well, I got mine as bulk without Nero. At least one good thing :)

>Pioneer seems to be fine, at least my 106 goes well with
>cdrecord-prodvd and growisofs (both for both DVD+ and DVD-).

Sounds promising. After all the wasted time and with prices
in free fall I should consider a change.. only want to be
sure that it is not some other problem that will persist
with another drive - anyone using a NEC1300 successfully here?

>".. and then NEC told me it was not their responsibility to make sure the
>burner works with all the media media-makers come up with all the time..."

I remember that, but at least they seem to have partly
reconsidered, there were two updates in August and October
that support additional media. And then, as mentioned in my
first mail, there is Herrie: http://herrie.rpc1.org/

Florian Lindauer