trouble with DVD+R

I'm having trouble getting DVD+R disks to burn correctly.  I am using a NEC
ND-1100A DVD+RW drive, and everything seems to work correctly when I am
burning the disk with growisofs.  However when I go to read the data off the
disk I get IO error trying to read any files past the first 2Gig.  The
earlier files read just fine, but the later ones are not readable.  If I am
writing to a DVD+RW disk I don't have these problems.

-steve