Re: XFree86 4.0.2 status

"Christian T. Steigies" wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 10:05:58PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the hints, I will rebuild with the new gcc and libc6.
> Same results with gcc-2.95.3 and libc6-2.2, so the memcpy patch (and/or not
> stripping of libraries) is needed to build x4.0 on m68k with current
> packages.
>
> I take patches to fix the loadpci problem. Interesting is that when I
> "startx" a different video mode is used, so part of X seem to be working.
>
> Seems hw/xfree86/scanpci is the right place to start. I can get different
> error messages buy playing a little with the source:
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
> (EE) LoadModule: Module pcidata does not supply version information
> (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
> (EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (invalid module, 0)
>
> Fatal server error:
> Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...
>
> Now I need a clue what to change there. Are there other arches without a pci
> bus?

As I pointed out earlier, PPC works without any PCI support.

> Note that I had to change an Imakefile to build stuff in bus/pci, because
> otherwise a makefile would go crazy. Maybe that was not the best idea?

Everything is possible. Do you have a patch?

> There must be a possibility to load this module but to tell it not to scan
> the pci bus and return savely...

Hmm looking closer at your previous log I begin to think the problem is not
about PCI at all. Here's a sane snippet:

(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.3

Yours failed right after the third '(II)' which looks like it is in the loader
code. Maybe something is wrong in the module metadata, similar to the error
you got now?

Can you build a static server (#define DoLoadableServer NO in host.def) and
run it in gdb?

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project