New website translations (Was: Re: webwml failed)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 04:59:54PM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 19/02/2009, at 7:53 PM, Jens Seidel wrote (in conclusion)
>> I added Clytie and Praveen as translation coordinators for Vietnamese
>> and Malayalam, resp. Both will be added to
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translation_coordinators
>> soon.

Hhm, the email address for both of you is not visible. Fixed.

>> Clytie, Praveen, the ultimate guide you want to read is
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/website/
>
>> Thanks for the reminder,
>
> and thanks for yours, too, Jens. :)
>
> I didn't realize translating the Release Announcement involved any
> complex website mechanism, as our translations of the Installation Guide
> have been available online for some time now. But I suppose that's the
> difference between wml translations and DocBook.

No, it's not complex. But new languages have to be added to 3 or 4 files
to be available in the footer, statistics, ... Since we don't often add
(http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translating#completenew)
a new language we always forget editing some files :-)

> I have hoped to find the time to translate Debian webpages, so this is a
> start. :)

It doesn't use PO for the major part (maybe we should add support
for it) but we have nice statistic pages and UTF-8 is supported:
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/

Argh, Vietnamese is still missing on it. We have to investigate it ...

> Do we have any central i18n list of translators for Debian? That might
> be useful for anyone faced with this kind of WTF situation.

No, such a list doesn't exist. But please note that a single person
(except you) can in general not work on multiple big projects because of
time contraints and other issues.

To translate the website is a really huge work but restricting to the 10
most important pages (homepage, how to report bugs, maybe important
announcements) would help already a lot.

See