Re: security/2008/dsa-1466.wml

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:18:03AM +0200, Nicolas Bertolissio wrote:
> Le lundi 28 avril 2008, Jens Seidel écrivit :
> > I followed the CVS logs and noticed that you are back! Great.
> > I really wonder how you were able to translate so many DSAs in a short
> > time ...
>
> Well, I was a bit buzy in real life, but I found a few hours to come
> back to Debian last week-end :)

I'm slower :-(

> > It is also great that you fixed many errors. Good job!
> > Nevertheless it would be even better to do it for all languages at once.
> > On the other side this can be fixed by others persons as well. Will try
> > to do so for all languages once I update the German translations ...
>
> But I have a problem with this: I can fix English versions but not
> others.  I learnt German at school, a long time ago, and I'm not able to
> fix anything in German as I've not practiced it for 15 years (even if I
> now live close to Germany).  And I know no other language.  So, when I
> add a comma or fix capitalisation in English I don't know what has to be
> done for other languages.  I know quite a number of French typographic
> rules (French typography is a bit complex and I've leart it while
> translating for Debian), but not so many in English, and none in other
> languages.

Oops, this confuses me. Once you add a comma or fix capitalisation in
English you don't change the meaning so the translation should
definitivly not change. Often the translators do not see the error and
understood the sentence as assumed by the author. Sometimes the
translator also noticed the error but just didn't fix it (very bad)
and translated it correctly.

In all these cases you can bump the translation check header for
translations as well. If you add a missing sentence or change only
from singular to plural you need indeed knowledge of the language and
should not bump.

Jens