license [was Re: Doubts and Ideas]

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 06:23:44PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> In any event, to resolve this issue completely

While we're at it. Since we obviously have time-related issues with the
complete solution :) can someone suggest an alternate phrasing for /license
that would not be false? How do we reference webwml committers as a group
without the reference being legally invalid?

Maybe we could replace the /license page with a script which would pull out
the usernames of all the committers for a given source file (via cvs log or
so) and print out the real names (via db.d.o, extra variables, etc) together
with years of changes. That would have two essential problems: a) revision
1.1 for some files isn't necessarily the original (some were imported), and
b) not all revisions necessarily constituted a copyrightable change.
Hence, I don't know if it would be worth it for the sake of copyright.
It might still be worth it for the sake of simply giving credit.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.