Re: Doubts and Ideas

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> While my preference is the GPL V2; I would be willing to accept any
> DFSG free license, if asked. But signing away my rights mean that,
> in theory, Debian can decide to change the license to something
> unacceptable (look at documentation the FSF changed from GPL to
> GFDL, and none of the authors had _any_ say in that).
>
> Not assigning copyright helps keep Debian honest.

Sure; the second option doesn't involve copyright assignment, but
gives Debian a licence to the work such that it can pick any DFSG Free
license subject to approval via GR (or whatever) in the future, in
case we need to relicense the webpages.

Of course, MIT/Expat is close enough to such a license that it
probably doesn't matter.

How about the following instead, then:

1) Copyright assignment to SPI using
http://ftp.xemacs.org/old-beta/FSF/assign.changes or similar, modified
to do the assignment to SPI under the direction of Debian.

-or-

2) MIT/Expat license by each contributor.

#2 doesn't provide the protection of a copyleft license, but it would
enable us to use the work in combination with any other license, so
would be ok.

Don Armstrong

--
"You have many years to live--do things you will be proud to remember
when you are old."