Re: license

On 2007-06-02T02:01:48+0300, joy@entuzijast.net wrote:
> While we're at it. Since we obviously have time-related issues with the
> complete solution :) can someone suggest an alternate phrasing for /license
> that would not be false? How do we reference webwml committers as a group
> without the reference being legally invalid?
>
> Maybe we could replace the /license page with a script

I think that we could write a short script similar to CD vendors
pages, where all data would be in one structured (e.g. XML) file, and
script would make copyright page per language. This would make it easy
to acknowledge copyrights of people who do not have commit access or
are not DDs. There is many of those people (I'm one, being coordinator
for Finnish translations, not being DD but having commit access to the
web site).

At least data should contain full name, copyright years, and which
languages are affected. Maybe we should record in data (but not
publish in web pages) about willingness to relicense data with
specific licenser or give permission for Debian project (or SPI Inc.)
to relicense in any DFSG compatible license.

This way there would be no copyright assignments, no paper work. Of
course relicensing would be done based on trust on email communication
about willingness of authors... (Also not all authors have PGP keys.)

This way we generate /license pages nicely and per translation.
Then for example Finnish license page would contain list of authors in
English and a list of Finnish translators (separately?).

Also a file in CVS would very convenient way to keep track of authors.

--
Tommi Vainikainen