Re: Question for DD candidates: The race against NOTA

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:32 AM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:

> What would be different if there was no leader? Where would the
> project lose more? Would it gain in some aspect?

The Constitution gives the DPL a number of duties that would then be
vacant.  Even though it wouldn't necessarily lead to total chaos,
having no one to decide what to do with Debian's money, no one to
appoint the necessary delegates when some of them resign, and no one
to be the central voice to speak for Debian, could be quite
problematic.

It could be possible to resort to many more GRs than we are currently
having, and vote on everything that has to be decided, but it wouldn't
be a good productive use of everybody's time.

Mainly, the DPL is the role of a person capable of inspiring all the
developers into working together towards a common goal.  By losing the
DPL role, we would lose the chance of really being a united community
and become separate individuals working on separate stuff. I do not
kid myself, I know that many times that's what we are, but still I
think that the leader helps keep us more or less on track.

I can't think of any advantages of having no leader.

I second zack's request to please not continue with this
hypotheticals, please, I'd rather use my brain to think about real
problems and the solutions needed.

--
Besos,
Marga