Re: Ad Hominem (was Re: Raul Miller is lying scum [Was: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot])

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 02:14:50AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:

> > Here you have implied that problems are created. You have never
> > described any problems that are created. This paragraph is clearly
> > intended to suggest the presence of problems which don't exist.
>
> That's not really true
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200401/msg01530.html
>
>   ... your perceived problem "we can't solve some problem which package
>   A ought to be useful for" becomes a much larger problem with your
>   proposed solution.
>
> Now, granted, that wasn't in response to you.  But your idea that I
> never described any problems that are created is false.
>
> In case the above is too abstract for you, I'll break it down:
>
> [a] Some people use software from the non-free of our archives.
> [b] That software would cease to be available in future versions of debian.
> [c] Upgrading that software becomes a problem when it's not available.
> [d] Dpkg will under some circumstances uninstall software which can't
> be upgraded.
> [e] Using software which has been removed from the system is a problem
> for some people.
>
> Is that specific enough for you?
>
> Or are you actually claiming that these sorts of problems can't happen?

I am claiming that you were not talking about this.

Here is what you said:

"we would need to pass further resolutions to fix the problem you're creating"

You are now suggesting that you were classifying the sole action of
the resolution (removing non-free) as a "problem" - so the "further
resolutions to fix the problem" would be to undo it.

In effect, you are saying that if a supermajority of developers
decided that they didn't want do distribute non-free, then this would
be a problem, and they would have to form a supermajority decision to
distribute non-free in order to "fix" it.

That's nonsense.

I claim that you were not talking about this at all, but were merely
spreading FUD, and are now trying to excuse it.

> > > There's at least two problems with this argument.
> > >
> > > [1] I never laid claim to any copyrighted work -- I [mistakenly] laid
> > > claim to having posted a couple concepts before you.  Copyright isn't
> > > about concepts, it's about the works themselves.
> > >
> > > [2] The phrases in question are extremely short -- even if the issue
> > > were those exact phrases, copyright wouldn't work that way.  You might
> > > as well try to claim copyright on individual words.
> >
> > Handwaving. This is not a court of law; technicalities are not an excuse.
>
> Copyright is a legal issue.
>
> > You claimed authorship; that means you think there is a
> > legitimate claim of authorship.
>
> You're confused: I have authorship -- I did indeed introduce a proposal
> with those changes.
>
> What I don't have is first authorship -- you introduced your own proposal
> with those changes before I did.
>
> Once again: this is not a copyright issue.  You might as well claim that
> because you say "the sky is blue" no one else is allowed to make such
> a claim.

The same, identical, handwaving.

Your claim was "I created this, and you copied it". My claim, which I
proceeded to prove, was that the opposite is true.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |