Re: Ad Hominem (was Re: Raul Miller is lying scum [Was: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot])

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:50:25AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 05:32:03AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > Subject: Ad Hominem (was ...)
> >
> > No it wasn't. It was a well-formed argument with a conclusion in the
> > subject line.
> >
> > Argumentum ad hominem would be "You're lying, therefore you're
> > wrong". This was "Here is documented evidence of you lying".
>
> Wrong.  Mistakes and lies are two different things.
>
> Here's documented evidence that you're wrong:
>
> http://www.bartleby.com/61/55/M0345500.html
> http://www.bartleby.com/61/52/L0155200.html

It is standard practice, when caught in a lie, to claim that it was a
mistake.

I don't accept your claim that it was a mistake, any more than I would
accept "Sorry, I didn't mean to shoot you. I thought I was eating
toast". It is slightly less convincing than it would be if SCO claimed
that they made a mistake in asserting that Linux infringed their
copyrights (when faced with all the lawsuits that are piling up
against them, claiming damages and legal costs).

I'm talking about what you said:

> [...]

Here you have implied that problems are created. You have never
described any problems that are created. This paragraph is clearly
intended to suggest the presence of problems which don't exist.

That is FUD.

> > > This isn't a copyright issue.
> >
> > Right of attribution is a part of copyright law everywhere I have ever
> > heard of. It is the (usually automatic, non-transferrable) right of an
> > author to have things they did attributed to them, rather than to
> > somebody else (and to not have things attributed to them which they
> > did not do).
>
> There's at least two problems with this argument.
>
> [1] I never laid claim to any copyrighted work -- I [mistakenly] laid
> claim to having posted a couple concepts before you.  Copyright isn't
> about concepts, it's about the works themselves.
>
> [2] The phrases in question are extremely short -- even if the issue
> were those exact phrases, copyright wouldn't work that way.  You might
> as well try to claim copyright on individual words.

Handwaving. This is not a court of law; technicalities are not an
excuse. You claimed authorship; that means you think there is a
legitimate claim of authorship.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |