Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:52:12 +0000, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> said:

>> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 04:25:11PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>> > You haven't made any proposals. You asked for other people to
>> > make some. Nobody did.
>>
>> I have not made any proposals which need to be voted on.

> Exactly what I said. Anything that doesn't need to be voted on is a
> proposal to maintain the status quo, no matter how many words you
> use to say it.

	In a certain narrow, limited, sense, you are correct.  But far
 ranging changes are not easily architected in a simple, initial draft
 proposal; so any process that immediately wants to jump to an
 actionable solution must needs stick to simplistic solutions to the
 problem.  I think that the issue is complex enough, and yes, I do
 honestly believe that the needs of end users ought to be dealt with
 with more care than "of, if this software is really important, then
 some infrastructure shall magically spring up, somehow, and anyway,
 the users inconveniences are not our problem, despite what we say in
 the social contract, since the lusers are using non-dfsg free
 software".

	Amending the social contract by itself is not, in my opinion,
 good enough, since a promise than can be retracted at a whimsy is
 worth little.

        So yes, I would like to see some discussion of whether we are
 going to be leaving our users in a lurch, despite our current
 contract with them, because we no longer like the old contract, and
 shall modify that forthwith.

	manoj
--
Cynic, n.: Experienced.