Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:34:17 +0000, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:29:57AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
>> So far, the proposals have gotten as far as "Deals with a problem".
>> [In the sense that we have a conflict of opinion between people who
>> think non-free is a thing we should support and people who think
>> that non-free is not a thing we should support].
>>
>> But where's the rest of it?

> Why does there need to be anything else? You've just restated the
> question that we're trying to vote on ("Should we support non-free
> [y/n]").

	I think the disconnect is that you are merely trying to
 satisfy your curiosity about what the developers think about
 non-free, and Raul and AJ have the unusual intent of trying to see
 this in context of what actions need be taken, how users are imacted,
 where this fits into the greater scheme of things, and to the future
 direction of the project.

> Your reponses to it, including this last one[0], have all simply
> said "I would vote [y], therefore I don't agree with removing it, so
> I don't think we should remove it". I think we got that part
> already. Please wait until the ballots go out before trying to vote
> :P

	Since all you seem to care about is an opinion poll, I can see
 how all this blathering about affects etc are lost on you, you intend
 that this GR is passed in limbo, with no action resulting from all
 the hulla balloo.

	Me; I would like to have a better handle on the reults of
 whatever actions are the logical conclusion of this opinion poll --
 and even build upon the possible directions the project could go
 while we are asking for peoples input.

	If you want opinions, far less work would be entailed in
 setting up a poll on debian planet.

	manoj
--
National security is in your hands - guard it well.