Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:10:59 +0000, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> said:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:09:11AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Me; I would like to have a better handle on the reults of whatever
>> actions are the logical conclusion of this opinion poll -- and even
>> build upon the possible directions the project could go while we
>> are asking for peoples input.

> Umm, that's why we have a proposal and discussion system. People
> have had plenty of time to express any opinions they might have on
> this - and I've been following them carefully, and none of them have
> said anything appreciably more meaningful than "I want to keep
> non-free" or "I want to drop non-free".

	There is more at stake here than a mere opinion poll, as you
 seem to also state later.

	We made a promise to users; and even called it a
 ``contract''.  Now we no longer want to keep that promise, so are we
 going to just leave the users in the lurch, with no transition plan,
 no support going forward? For people whoi seem to think that
 distributing non-DFSG free software is unethical, how ethicsal is
 this reneging on our promise?

	Note that I don't say that we can't ever change the social
 contract (though I can see Branden just itching to tar me with that
 brush); I merely would like to know if we are going to help them
 transition.

> If there were evidence of the existence of other significant
> opinions, sure, we could write them into the ballot. If any appear,
> we still can. But there hasn't been, and I don't buy the silent
> majority theory, since it's almost impossible to get Debian
> developers to shut up at the best of times.

	If you are unwilling to discuss issues, how can other nascent
 opinions develop?

> All I have seen is vague handwaving along the lines of "There may be
> people who would prefer to do something else [but I can't think of
> anything I'd rather do than keep non-free]".

	I like to keep my promise, is all. I am not implying, though,
 that other people share my opinion, or that they should; nor am I
 implying that people who want to get rid of non-free software are
 breaking their promise.  This is a subjective issue, and I am stating
 my take on it.

	manoj

--
Men often believe -- or pretend -- that the "Law" is something sacred,
or at least a science -- an unfounded assumption very convenient to