On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 13:41, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Oliver Elphick (olly@lfix.co.uk) [040714 14:25]:

> > It is very discourteous to ignore people.  Don't your fellow developers
> > deserve some human consideration and courtesy?
>
> Did you ever try to speak to Daniel directly? I tried it once (on
> IRC), and got immediate reply from him.

I'm sorry; you misunderstand me.

I have not myself had reason to seek information from Daniel or the
other ftp-masters about this.  I am speaking about what I have seen on
the lists, where those who have been directly involved in building the
amd64 port have related their experiences and their frustration at
getting no response to their emails.

As for IRC, it is not a form of communication that naturally occurs to
my mind.  In general email is far more convenient, from my point of view
and is the natural and expected medium of communication in a worldwide
project.

Perhaps the fact that the ftp-masters are a group rather than an
individual is responsible for some of the communication problems.  It is
natural, if a question is difficult to answer, to leave it to someone
else, if no particular person has specific responsibility for
answering.  So the group as a whole fails, but no particular individual
is really to blame.  Some groups contain individuals who are happy to
jump up and reply to everything; if the ftp-masters do not have such an
individual, perhpas they could work out some way of ensuring that all
queries get at least an acknowledgment.

     "God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the
      fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                   I Corinthians 1:9