Re: A modest request

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 03:30:16PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> 1. Why are we doing this?  What are the problems that we hope to solve?
> What are some examples of this?

We ran into conflicting interpretations of our current constitution when
discussing how to vote on some issues related to non-free.

> 2. How will it solve these problems?

By eliminating these ambiguities in a manner that [hopefully]
we all like.

> 3. Why are we solving the problems in this particular manner?

That question is a bit vague -- what does "in this particular manner"
mean?

We've had a lot of advice from people who study election methods.

We think we understand something about how debian makes decisions and
has made decisions.

I proposed a series of drafts based on an improper understanding of the
significance of "tie" for the vote counting mechanism that was recommended
by the electionmethods people.

> 4. Does it introduce any new problems, however remote?

That's what we're currently discussing.  Until we have something
we can agree is a final draft, I don't think we're prepared to
give a simple answer to this question.

> A URL or link to some resource that would provide nice background could be
> nice too.

http://electionmethods.org/ is a good starting point.

Thanks,

--