Re: A modest request

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 03:30:16PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> 1. Why are we doing this?  What are the problems that we hope to solve?
> What are some examples of this?
The description of the voting system in the current constitution
is kind of broken.  For one there is the spelling mistake "Concorde"
(should read "Condorcet").  And then the description of the voting
procedure in appendix A.6 does not make much sense (at least to me,
try to read A.6. 1.-3. in order.  Does A.6.3 make sense to you?).
So we need to change this section of the constitution.

And while we are doing this, we can even try to do it right this time.

> 2. How will it solve these problems?
Well, if we replace Appendix A.6. of the constitution with something
which actually makes sense, the problem would be solved.

> 3. Why are we solving the problems in this particular manner?
Huh?  What do you mean?  We are discussing several proposed
replacements for this appendix.  We are doing this in order to
find a solution.  Does this answer your question?

> 4. Does it introduce any new problems, however remote?
Yes, it will.  Every voting systems will seem to give strange
in some corner cases.  But then these cases will occur only on
*very rare* occasion.

> A URL or link to some resource that would provide nice background could be
> nice too.
The current state is appendix A.6 at

    http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution

Background about plain Condorcet voting can be found at
http://www.electionmethods.org/.

I hope this helps,
Jochen
--