Re: Another proposal.

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 04:04:35PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:53:55PM +0100, Jochen Voss wrote:
> > Making "random" additions (with only half-understood consequences)
> > to the original Condorcet voting scheme seems messy to me.
>
> Er.. are you suggesting we squelch debate on supermajority?
Sorry?  This I do not understand.
What I wanted to say: I don't like the supermajority
concept because I don't think it is necessary and I did
not think the I can convince myself that the implementation
of supermajorities in your November 19 draft does more good
than bad.  But see below...

> None of the additions were "random".  They were flawed in a number of
> ways (I had a flawed understanding of the significance of pairwise ties
> in CpSSD, for example), and we've been discussing the flaws.
>
> Personally, I'm currently looking at the draft implied by
I was somewhat behind with my mail reading.
Now I read Anthony Towns draft and I like it to
some extent.  My ranking of options would be now
 [1] plain condorcet voting with clone-proof Schwarz sequential dropping
     (without supermajorities)
 [2] Anthony Towns draft
 [3] forther discussion
 [4] your November 19 draft

> > And what are we trying to protect ourselves from?
>
> At the moment?  We're trying to protect ourselves from instituting a
> bad set of rules.
No.  By using supermajorites and quorums.

> > I cannot really imagine something like a "hostile take-over"
> > of the debian project.
>
> Neither can I.
>
> However, I can imagine us making changes out of frustration or anger,
> or for some other reason making changes where we've not fully considered
> the implications of a decision.
Yes, this would be clearly possible.  But then there will
be long discussion periods.  I did not look it up, but isn't
the minimum discussion period 3 weeks?  And hopefully we wouldn't
stay in a state of frustration or anger for the whole 3 weeks.

Jochen
--
                                         Omm
                                      (0)-(0)